Fish tacos, while delicious, are so 2018. Up your taco-game with a delish vegan take on the original. (serves 4)
- 2 cans (398 ml/14 oz) young jackfruit in water or brine (*not in syrup)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) refined neutral tasting coconut oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) thinly sliced white onion
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, approx 4 tsp (20 ml) minced
- ½ tsp (2 ml) kosher salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) coconut sugar
- ⅔ c (160 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tamari
- 1-2 chipotles in adobo sauce (add according to your preferred spice preference)
- 2-3 tsp (10-15ml) adobo sauce (add according to your preferred spice preference)
- freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- corn tortillas
Toppings for tacos
- avocado slices
- thinly sliced radishes
- thinly sliced green onion
- pickled jalapenos
- fresh cilantro
- fresh lime juice
- hot sauce
- Drain the 2 cans of jackfruit well, and transfer to cutting board.
- The jackfruit will have “core” pieces and softer aspects to each piece.
- Cut the hard core piece into small pieces, and leave the bigger, softer pieces as is.
- Rinse and let drain well.
- Meanwhile in a pot or dutch oven, heat the coconut oil over medium heat and add the onion and saute until just golden brown and soft.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute or two until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the jackfruit, the salt, smoked paprika, chilli powder, cumin, coconut sugar, chipotles and adobo sauce, water, lime juice and tamari.
- Stir mixture together well, cover and let simmer for 20 min, stirring occasionally.
- As the jackfruit cook, use a wooden spoon and a fork to break the chunks and shred them into pulled pork texture.
- Adjust seasoning as needed, and add freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with the suggested toppings or toppings of your choice on corn or flour tortillas.
Publisher’s Note: Carol Dudar is a Toronto based recipe developer and food stylist.