Kick a little spice into your gluten free onion rings with a dash of Harissa. If you love the crunch, better double up on the recipe… these are always a hit and disappear quickly.
You may like this recipe as well:
- 1 cup (250ml) rice flour
- 2 tbsp (30ml) cornstarch
- 4 tbsp (60ml) plus 1 tsp (5ml) prepared Harissa spice mix
- 4 medium red onions, cut into
- 1/2″ (1mm) thick horizontal slices, separated into individual rings
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten canola or grape seed oil for frying
- Whisk rice flour, cornstarch, and the 4 tbsp of Harissa mix together in a pie plate.
- In a small bowl, add the 1 tsp of Harissa mix to the lightly beaten eggs.
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees
- Dip the onion rings first into the egg mixture with one hand and transfer to the dry mixture.
- Using the other hand or fork, coat the onion rings well in the dry mixture.
- Fry the onion rings in batches, careful not add too many at once and overcrowd.
- Fry for 2-3 min or until deep golden brown.
- Drain well on paper towel before serving.