Kick a little spice into your gluten free onion rings with a dash of Harissa. If you love the crunch, better double up on the recipe… these are always a hit and disappear quickly. (serves 4)
- 1 cup (250ml) rice flour
- 2 tbsp (30ml) cornstarch
- 4 tbsp (60ml) plus 1 tsp (5ml) prepared Harissa spice mix
- 4 medium red onions, cut into
- 1/2″ (1mm) thick horizontal slices, separated into individual rings
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten canola or grape seed oil for frying
Whisk rice flour, cornstarch, and the 4 tbsp of Harissa mix together in a pie plate.
In a small bowl, add the 1 tsp of Harissa mix to the lightly beaten eggs.
Heat the oil to 375 degrees
Dip the onion rings first into the egg mixture with one hand and transfer to the dry mixture. Using the other hand or fork, coat the onion rings well in the dry mixture. Fry the onion rings in batches, careful not add too many at once and overcrowd. Fry for 2-3 min or until deep golden brown. Drain well on paper towel before serving.
Purple Potato Chips
- 2 tbsp (30ml) quality extra virgin olive oil (or herb infused extra virgin olive oil)
- 3-4 heirloom and red radishes, thinly sliced and kept in cold water
- 3 small purple potatoes canola or grape seed oil for frying
- handful of small baby greens
- sea salt and fresh black pepper
- beet horseradish (optional)
Heat the canola or grape seed oil to 350 degrees and thinly slice the potatoes. Fry the potato chips in small batches (don’t overcrowd) for 2-3 min until chips are crispy and very lightly golden brown. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Repeat until all the potatoes are done.
Drain the radish slices and dry.
Serve the potato chips and the horseradish on the side.