A veggie burger that is gluten free and provides lots of protein, greens, fibre and flavour. The burger uses egg, and almond flour as it is a source of protein, which keeps the burger moist, and it really packs a punch of nutrition with the green peas, baby spinach, almond flour content. The burger mixture is a quick mix to come together for a weekday dinner. They can also be baked, and frozen for take for lunches or for prep dinner ideas.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, 1/2 tbsp (7ml), minced
- 1 cup (250ml) red onion, finely diced
- 2 cups (500 ml) frozen peas
- 3 cups (750 ml) baby spinach
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 ¼ (310 ml) cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15ml) preserved lemons, minced (or 1 tbsp (15ml) fresh lemon/lemon rind)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) fresh black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125ml) fresh dill, finely chopped
- Hamburger buns lightly toasted or lettuce wraps
- Yellow or heirloom tomatoes
- Pickled jalapeños
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Mayonnaise mixed with grainy mustard
- Bring 3 cups of well salted water to a boil, and quickly cook the peas for a couple of minutes.
- Strain and transfer to a a large bowl with ice cold water.
- Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion in oil on med low heat until onion is translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Let cool completely while prepping rest of ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Add the peas, baby spinach, preserved lemon, dill, dijon mustard and the cooked onion mixture to the food processor.
- Process until well combined.
- Transfer from food processor to large bowl, add the almond flour, egg, salt and pepper.
- Mix well until completely combined.
- Make 3/4 cup or 1 cup size patties and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of the burgers with avocado or with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 min or until firm and starting to lightly brown on top.
- Transfer burger to toasted buns, add the lettuce and toppings to your liking
- Serve immediately
You may also like this recipe: Breakfast Tahini Toast
Publisher’s Note: Carol Dudar is a Toronto based recipe developer and food stylist.