- 2 tbsp (30ml) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small red onion (@1/2 cup (125ml) finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (250ml) arborio rice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) red wine
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable stock, heat until warmed
- 1 cup (250ml) peeled and grated fresh beet
- 1/2 cup (125ml) grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp (30ml) unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp (60ml) fresh dill fronds kosher salt or flaky sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 tbsp (15ml) of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent and softened, then add the garlic. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Remove onions and garlic from pan and set aside.
Add remaining olive oil to pan and coat pan evenly with the oil. Stir the rice into the pan, coating the rice evenly with the oil. When rice is slightly translucent, slowly add the red wine, stirring constantly over medium to medium high heat. Add more wine as the wine is absorbed by the rice. Slowly add the warmed stock, in 1/2 cup (125ml) intervals stirring constantly. As the stock is absorbed, add 1/2 cup more until rice is tender and texture is creamy.
It should take about 30-40 minutes to reach the creamy texture.
Fold the grated beets into the rice and stir for another 5 minutes or until the beets are cooked. Remove pan from heat, add the butter and stir gently. Season with salt and pepper, and add the dill.
Garnish with the grated parmesan and more fresh dill fronds.