A nutritionally dense and delicious plant based pasta sauce, our Walnut & Cauliflower Bolognese Sauce recipe fulfills all the needs and wants of a rich traditional bolognese. The toasted chopped walnuts provide great texture and consistency while the cauliflower adds the perfect robustness. This sauce is high in protein, fibre, Vit E, Vitamin Bs, antioxidants and phytonutrients.
This plant based sauce is a quick one to make. Let it simmer while you cook the pasta and a side dish. Try spiralizing butternut squash, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash is also an excellent pasta alternative. Once the sauce is made, freeze half of it for weekday evenings when you have less time.
You may like this recipe as well:
- 3 cups (750 ml) small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup (250 ml) walnut pieces
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium (@1/2cup/ 125 ml) red onion, finely minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups (1 L) tomato sauce (or 1 can of tomatoes)
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) red chili flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, toast the walnuts for 10-15 min until quite golden brown. Let cool
- In food processor, finely chop the cauliflower, set aside
- In food processor, finely chop the walnut pieces
- Heat dutch oven over medium low heat, and add the butter
- Once the butter has melted, add the onion and stir until translucent
- Add the garlic, and red chili flakes; stir until fragrant. Add the cauliflower and the walnuts, sautee for 10-15 min or until cauliflower has golden brown
- Add the tomato sauce, and simmer for 45 min to 1hr, stirring occasionally.
- Season with the salt and pepper as needed
- Serve immediately over freshly cooked pasta or spiralled vegetable noodles
Publisher’s Note: Carol Dudar is a Toronto based recipe developer and food stylist.