Rich in flavour, this delicious curry can be served over rice or quinoa for a hearty winter meal. Zucchini, fennel and carrots add to the array of flavours and are sure to be a crowd pleaser. (Serves 4)
- 1 block (14-16 oz) super firm tofu, cut into 1” cubes
- 4 t olive oil
- 1 t honey or maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
In a large bowl, combine olive oil with honey or maple syrup and all spices. Add cubed tofu and gently toss to combine.
Arrange tofu in a single layer on baking sheet and broil for 10 mins or until tofu is browned and crispy on top. Gently toss and broil an additional 10 mins.
Allow to cool slightly.
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli flakes
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 heaping cup canned or pureed pumpkin
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ cup apple cider (or veggie stock)
- 1.5 t maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 t light cooking oil, such as avocado oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into half-moons
- 1 cup frozen peas
- handful basil, torn or finely shredded
- crushed peanuts, for serving
- cooked rice or quinoa, for serving
While tofu broils, add all curry spices (cumin through cinnamon) to a large, dry skillet and toast until fragrant and slightly nutty.
Add toasted spices to a blender and add pumpkin, coconut milk, garlic, apple cider, maple syrup and salt and blend until smooth. Set aside.
To same skillet used to toast the spices, add cooking oil and heat over med-high f lame. Add carrots, fennel and zucchini and stir-fry until crisp-tender, 3–5 mins. Add blended curry mixture and peas and cook until heated through, about 5 mins.
Serve curried veggies over rice or quinoa topped with broiled tofu, basil and peanuts.