Dating back to the 3rd century BC, flatbreads have always been a popular food. Gluten free and dairy free, this pizza bianca is fabulous modern twist on the original Roman version.
- 1 1/2c ( 375ml) almond flour
- 1/2c (125ml) coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) sea salt
- 2 tsp (10ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (2/5ml) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) dried basil
- 2 *chia eggs (*see note)
- 2-3 tbsp (30-45ml) water or Tetra Pak of unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oregano, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped Fresh black pepper
- 2 small red-skinned potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2-3 baby Yukon potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2-3 blue potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
You may like this recipe as well:
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2c (125ml) coconut cream
- 2 tsp (10ml) nutritional yeast
- Fresh black pepper
- 2 tbsp (30ml) coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp (30ml) coarsely chopped basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Combine dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix water and chia egg together and add to dry ingredients.
- Stir until ingredients come together into a dough.
- Add a tablespoon or two more liquid if needed.
- Roll out dough between 2 layers of parchment paper until pizza is approx. 1/4” thick.
- Transfer pizza on bottom piece of parchment paper to baking sheet.
- Top pizza crust with the potato slices, overlapping slightly.
- Grind more black pepper and a sprinkle of sea salt over top.
- Mix together the olive oil, herbs and pepper.
- Brush the surface of the pizza with the herbed oil.
- Bake pizza for 20 min or until crust and potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile make the sauce: saute the shallots for 8-10 min until golden brown, add the garlic and saute for another minute or two.
- Add the coconut cream and nutritional yeast to the pan and stir until mixture until well combined.
- Set aside.
- When pizza is almost done, remove from oven, top with Béchamel sauce and bake for another 5 min or until sauce melts and is starting to turn golden brown.
- When browned, remove from oven.
- Top with the fresh herbs and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Cut into pieces and serve.
Publisher’s Note: Carol Dudar is a Toronto based recipe developer and food stylist.