Look no further for that perfect ingredient. Tofu absorbs the flavours of whatever it is mixed with, making it a great protein option for almost any recipe. (Serves 4)
- 1 organic firm tofu package
- 1 tbsp (15ml) sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1ml) chili flakes
- 2-3 tbsp (30-45ml) cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15ml) green onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp (60ml) hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp (15ml) fresh lime juice Kosher salt Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp (15ml) toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp (15ml) black sesame seeds
Open package of tofu, cut into 1/2” thick slices. Lay out onto paper towel for 10-15 min to absorb the moisture, turning tofu over once. Salt and pepper both sides of tofu.
Heat large frying pan over medium high heat. Add sesame oil, fry the garlic until fragrant, remove garlic from pan and set aside. Coat the pan evenly with the sesame oil, and add the tofu steaks.
Cook the tofu for about 5-7 mins on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients together. Season with salt and pepper.
Top each of the pieces of tofu with a spoonful of the mixture while tofu is still in the pan.
Let sit for 2 minutes or until the topping is slightly warmed.
Remove from heat, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve on its own or with sauted veggies or whole grain brown rice.
(Can be cooked and kept refrigerated. Can be reheated or served at room temperature)