Aiming to have all the colours of the rainbow on your plate is an easy undertaking with this mixed slaw. Colourful and healthy, it is a packed with powerhouse ingredients, hearty enough for a meal.
- 1 small bunch of curly green or purple kale
- 1 small head or half a medium head of purple cabbage
- 1 sunrise apple, or local apple of choice
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, preferably apple juice sweetened
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated with a microplane
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
Good pinch fine sea salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 F/200 C and line a baking sheet with parchment.
Toss walnuts, sunflower seeds and caraway seeds together with a tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Spread evenly onto baking sheet and roast in the oven until brown, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk everything together until emulsified and adjust seasoning as needed.
In a large salad bowl, mix together sliced kale, cabbage and apples. Sprinkle in roasted nuts and seeds, and add dried cranberries. Add dressing and mix together until the cabbage and kale are well coated. Serve immediately or if time permits, let salad sit in fridge to soak up flavors. Salad will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.