Aiming to have all the colours of the rainbow on your plate is an easy undertaking with this mixed slaw. Colourful and healthy, it is a packed with powerhouse ingredients, hearty enough for a meal.
You may like this recipe as well:
- 1 small bunch of curly green or purple kale
- 1 small head or half a medium head of purple cabbage
- 1 sunrise apple, or local apple of choice
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, preferably apple juice sweetened
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated with a microplane
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- Good pinch fine sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F/200 C and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Toss walnuts, sunflower seeds and caraway seeds together with a tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Spread evenly onto baking sheet and roast in the oven until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk everything together until emulsified and adjust seasoning as needed.
- In a large salad bowl, mix together sliced kale, cabbage and apples.
- Sprinkle in roasted nuts and seeds, and add dried cranberries.
- Add dressing and mix together until the cabbage and kale are well coated.
- Serve immediately or if time permits, let salad sit in fridge to soak up flavors.
- Salad will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.