- 8 cups (2 L) spiralized butternut squash
- 2 large shallots (½ cup/125 ml) cut into slices lengthwise
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh (or frozen) peas
- 2 cups (500 ml) sugar pea pods
- 1 lemon, ideally organic, sliced into ¼” slices, and cut each slice into quarters
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon zest, ideally organic
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chili flakes
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) cured black olives, pits removed, and cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) avocado or other neutral oil, divided
- ¼ (60 ml) pistachio oil or extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pink peppercorns, crushed
- kosher salt
In a medium frying pan, add 1 tbsp of the avocado oil and heat over medium high heat.
Add the slices of lemon, and saute until lemons are golden brown on both sides.
Remove from pan, and set aside.
In the same pan, add the remaining tbsp of avocado oil and the shallots.
Season with salt and black pepper and saute until lightly golden brown.
Set aside with the caramelized lemon slices.
In a small covered pot, bring 3 cups (750 ml) water to a boil.
Add 1 tbsp (15 ml) kosher salt to the pot, and add the peas.
Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook peas for 5 min or so until tender.
Strain and transfer peas into a bowl of ice cold water.
Repeat the same process with the sugar pea pods, the slice the pods lengthwise into strips.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and spread the butternut squash evenly, season with kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
Bake for 15 min or until tender.
In a bowl large enough to toss the pasta with all the ingredients, add the squash, caramelized lemon slices, shallots, peas, pea pods, basil, lemon juice and zest, chili flakes, olives, and pistachio oil.
Taste and season with more chili flakes, salt, lemon juice, zest or pistachio oil.
Add the pink peppercorns, toss and season again if necessary, adding more pink peppercorns if needed.
Divide pasta between the four dishes, and sprinkle each serving with the toasted pistachios.