The delicate floral essence of hibiscus pairs beautifully with the earthy spice of ginger in this refreshing tonic. (serves 8-10)
- 1/2 C (125 ml) dried hibiscus flowers
- 4 C (1 L) water 4” (10 cm) piece of organic ginger, peeled and cut into 1/4” thickslices
- 1/4 C (60 ml) fresh lemon juice sparkling water, chilled Optional: sweetener like honey, maple syrup or coconut nectar
Bring water and ginger to a gentle boil. Simmer for 20-30 min, then pour over hibiscus flowers. Set aside for 1hr then remove hibiscus flowers and add the lemon juice. Chill for 3-4 hours or overnight. Strain the ginger and add sweetener to taste if using. Keep the drink concentrate in the fridge for 4-5 days. Fill glasses half full with hibiscus drink, and top with sparkling water.
For a more celebratory look here is an optional garnish to do before filling the glass:
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) crushed hibiscus flowers
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) kosher salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lime or lemon juice
Rim the top of the glass with lemon or lime juice in a small shallow wide bowl or plate. Mix the crushed flowers with the salt well in another small shallow wide bowl or plate. Gently press the wet rim of the glass into the hibiscus/salt mixture until rim is evenly coated. Proceed to filing the glass.
Note: Can also make the hibiscus concentrate and add hot water and sweetener if preferred.