Welcome spring in with a sweet and sour mixed bevy, refreshing and invigorating. Drink up!
- 2 cups (500 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups (500 ml) superfine granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) Meyer lemon, washed and sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) pear, washed and sliced
- 4 star anise
- 6 green cardamon pods
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- In a 1 L (4 cup) jar, mix the sugar and the apple cider vinegar.
- Add the lemon and pear slices, the spices and the thyme.
- Seal the jar well, shake and refrigerate for one week.
- Occasionally give the jar a shake over the course of the week.
- Strain the liquid into a smaller jar, discard the fruit and spices.
- Keep the liquid “the shrub” in the fridge.
To make a drink
- In a tall glass, add ice and 1 oz (ml) of the shrub.
- Pour 6 oz of chilled sparkling water into the glass.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and a pear or lemon slice.
- Serve immediately
- A shrub can be made with almost any fruit. Always keep the ratio the same: 1 part sugar, 1 part apple cider vinegar, 1 part fruit and refrigerate for a week before using.
- Can use any herbs or spices to help flavour the drink.
- The shrub can be used in both non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks.
Publisher’s Note: Carol Dudar is a Toronto based recipe developer and food stylist.