According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, arugula is a leafy green plant packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Amongst minerals, it provides calcium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and sodium. It has high levels of vitamin C, and folic acid, fat-soluble vitamins A, E and K (but not D) and small amounts of other B vitamins.
It is packed with antioxidants, nutrient-rich food., and . As compared to other leafy greens, arugula is low in oxalates, which are chemicals that inhibit the absorption of minerals into the body. All in all, arugula is a low-calorie,
The European Journal of Nutrition has published a study that has found that certain phytochemicals, found in arugula, may inhibit the activity of cancer-causing cells. Phytochemicals are substances like thiocyanates, , or indoles that are effective in countering cancer-causing tendencies in the body’s processes. A study in the PLOS One Journal suggests that these compounds help fight prostate, breast, cervical, colon, and ovarian cancers. However, the mechanism of action is not well-understood, so further ongoing research is needed.
Another benefit of arugula is the presence of small amounts of B-Complex vitamins that assisting in promoting metabolism. Eight B-vitamins participate and aid in all different cell activities, including energy production, fat synthesis, the production of red blood cells, and many other vital processes for cell and metabolic health.
- Cancer fighting power food
- Hydrating leafy green
- Good for bone health
- Helps reduce Inflammation in the body
- Cleanses and detoxifies the body
- Protects the aging brain from cognitive decline
You may also like this recipe: Fennel Celery Walnut Dill Salad
- English cucumber
- Red onion
- Pine nuts
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Slice into chunks: avocado, english cucumber
- Mix in a large bowl combine avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and arugula. Gently toss together.
- Whisk in a small bowl whisk the olive oil, and lemon juice. Add to the veggies and toss.
- Serve with pine nuts sprinkled over salad