According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, arugula is a leafy green plant packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Amongst minerals, it provides calcium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and sodium. It has high levels of vitamin C, and folic acid, fat-soluble vitamins A, E and K (but not D) and small amounts of other B vitamins.
It is packed with antioxidants, nutrient-rich food., and . As compared to other leafy greens, arugula is low in oxalates, which are chemicals that inhibit the absorption of minerals into the body. All in all, arugula is a low-calorie,
The European Journal of Nutrition has published a study that has found that certain phytochemicals, found in arugula, may inhibit the activity of cancer-causing cells. Phytochemicals are substances like thiocyanates, , or indoles that are effective in countering cancer-causing tendencies in the body’s processes. A study in the PLOS One Journal suggests that these compounds help fight prostate, breast, cervical, colon, and ovarian cancers. However, the mechanism of action is not well-understood, so further ongoing research is needed.
Another benefit of arugula is the presence of small amounts of B-Complex vitamins that assisting in promoting metabolism. Eight B-vitamins participate and aid in all different cell activities, including energy production, fat synthesis, the production of red blood cells, and many other vital processes for cell and metabolic health.
You may also like this recipe:
- Cancer fighting power food
- Hydrating leafy green
- Good for bone health
- Helps reduce Inflammation in the body
- Cleanses and detoxifies the body
- Protects the aging brain from cognitive decline
- English cucumber
- Red onion
- Pine nuts
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Slice into chunks: avocado, english cucumber
- Mix in a large bowl combine avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and arugula. Gently toss together.
- Whisk in a small bowl whisk the olive oil, and lemon juice. Add to the veggies and toss.
- Serve with pine nuts sprinkled over salad