(Let rest 2-3 days for maximum flavour, keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks)
Serve these on their own as a side dish with meals or cocktails or garnish
your Caesar drinks with the pickles for a special twist and extra flavour.
Starting with the dill pickle juice adds an already seasoned taste and depth
to the homemade pickles however not necessary, they can be made with white vinegar as well.
Ingredients – raw vegetables
- cherry tomatoes
- pearl onions
- celery sticks
- mini cucumbers spears
- red or yellow peppers slices
- green or yellow beans
- radishes, slices or halved
- heirloom carrot sticks
Ingredients – pickles
- 2 cup (500 ml) dill pickle juice or white vinegar
- ½ cup (125 ml) Viritus Organic Vodka (gluten free)
- ¼ cup (60ml) fresh lemon juice (apporox juice from two lemons)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh dill
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh horseradish
- 1 tsp (5 ml) hot sauce (tabasco)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) black peppercorns
- 1 tsp (2 ml) celery seeds
- 1 tsp (2 ml) dill seed
- 1/8 tsp dried chili flakes (a pinch) (*optional)
- Mix all the pickling ingredients in a large 1L (4 cups) mason jar.
- Add any preferred combination of raw vegetables to the mixture, until the jar is full. Seal with airtight lid and keep in the fridge.
- Let rest for at least 24 hrs. Serve on their own or garnish Caesars with the seasoned pickles.
Publisher’s Note: Carol Dudar is a Toronto based recipe developer and food stylist.