We all know how important it is to take care of ourselves. Adopting a healthy lifestyle has so many benefits but we may not be sure which ones are the most beneficial. In addition, it may seem to be a daunting task to research this on our own.
As a health and wellness coach, I tell my clients that living a healthy lifestyle goes beyond the food on their plates. Our health and wellness is impacted by our careers, relationships, environment, and state of mind.
You may like this story as well:
In making simple, mindful choices, we can make lifestyle changes that are easy to incorporate into daily life and provide long-term results.
Create a plan to try these lifestyle wellness tips below. Start small, and with a goal in mind. Do you want to improve your eating habits? Start a self-care practice? Increase your energy?
Then, take action. Commit to a practice. Give it time. I recommend giving yourself a week or two as a trial period. Note how you feel after you’ve tried one of these tips. Ask yourself if you can keep this up, or does it need to be adjusted for you to make it work?
4 Ways to Improve your Eating Habits
- Cook your own food. If you tend to eat out or purchase packaged foods, set out a meal plan for the week including a few easy recipes to test out. Don’t worry about leftovers; they make quick and healthy lunches.
- Drink filtered water. Water is the best drink to have, all day long. Avoid sugar-dense sodas and juices by replacing them with good quality, filtered water. Go for a minimum of 8 glasses.
- Chew your food. Digestion starts in the mouth with chewing. By slowing down and chewing your food well, you assist your body in the digestion process. Try 30 chews per bite.
- Buy organic when possible. Organic produce means less harmful pesticides and chemicals have been used in growing these fruits and vegetables. Use EWG’s “Dirty Dozen” and “Clean Fifteen” to make best decisions on which organic produce to buy next time you are at the supermarket.
You may like this story as well:
4 Ways to Practice Self-Care
- Learn to breathe. Adopt a regular breathing practice to rely on at any time during the day.
- Morning/evening meditation. Start with one minute of quiet. Find a comfortable position and a space free of distractions. Set a timer. Watch your breath roll in and out of through your nose until the timer is up. Work up by one-minute increments.
- Journal. Keep a journal by writing thoughts and intentions for the day ahead as part of a morning practice. Write freely for about 5 minutes.
- Take a warm bath. Not only does a warm bath feel like a cuddly hug, it helps send the message to the nervous system that it’s time to relax. Try adding Epsom salts for an extra magnesium boost.
4 Wellness Tips to Boost Your Energy
- Exercise regularly. A regular exercise routine not only boosts your energy levels, it also increases your overall mood. Whether it’s a walk around the block with your dog, hitting a yoga class or a visit to the gym. Stay consistent. Schedule it into your daily routine and move!
- Think positive thoughts. A shift in attitude can naturally attract more positive energy from the world around you. Focus on solutions, not problems, to foster an encouraging outlook for yourself.
- Avoid sugar in your diet. Sugar can not only zap our energy stores, but make us crave more sugar, creating a never-ending fluctuation of sugar highs and lows. Learn how to read labels on packaged foods. Remember 4 grams = 1 tsp. of sugar and check the serving amount indicated on the label. You’d be surprised how much sugar is hiding in most of these foods.
- Get regular sleep. The body replenishes itself in so many ways with uninterrupted sleep, helping you feel energized and restored upon waking. Don’t forget to get an average of 8 hours sleep a night. For some, it may be more. See what feels right for you.
By adding some of these recommendations to your daily routine, you’ll be sure to adopt habits that will make a noticeable difference in your overall health, wellness and vitality! Think about other ways you can improve these areas of your life and create a plan to implement these wellness tips!
Start little, stay strong, and enjoy the journey!
Publishers Notes: Marina Mason is Yoga Alliance Certified Instructor and an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach.