• 1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil
• 1/2 cup mango butter
• 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
• Your favourite scented essential oil
Place the coconut oil and mango butter in a double boiler. Allow them to melt completely. Remove from heat and add grape seed oil and 15 drops of essential oil. Stir thoroughly and allow to cool.
Once cooled, place in refrigerator to solidify.
Remove from fridge and bring the mixture to room temperature.
Using a hand mixer, whisk the contents until light and fluffy. Place into a closable container and store out of direct sunlight.
If you prefer an odourless cream, the essential oil can be omitted. For oily skin, replace the grape seed with jojoba oil.
• 8oz spiced rum
• 8oz vodka
• 8 west Indian bay leaves
• 1/2 tsp crushed whole black cardamom pods
• 1 lime
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 1/2 tsp. dried allspice berries
Break open the cardamom pods. Discard the shells and crush the seeds with a mortar and pestle. Using the mortar and pestle, crush allspice berries. Add all the dry ingredients to a 1 quart mason jar. Use a zester to add lime zest to the jar. Add liquid ingredients. Seal mason jar and store in a cool, dark place. Shake the jar every other day. After 3-4 weeks, open jar and strain into a pump container.
1. Ground cardamom and allspice can be used, but whole ones contain more natural oils and will add a richer aroma.
2. West Indian bay leaves (pimenta racemose) are recommended over the traditional bay leaves found in the produce department of grocery stores.