WHAT IS GLYCERIN?
Glycerin is completely naturally derived and is considered to be a key ingredient for the most moisturizing soaps. Derived from plant-based oils, it has hygroscopic properties, meaning it absorbs moisture. In fact, if it’s left alone, it would absorb up to a fifth of its weight in water. That’s how it keeps your skin silky smooth.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Glycerin soap base
- Assorted herbs
- Assorted essential oils
- Glass bowl or glass measuring cup
- Soap molds (You can use old cartons or yogurt cups to save money. You can also use a silicon mold – both pop out the soap easily and with minimal damage)
- In a food processor or blender, purée the herbs until you have a chunky paste.
- Melt the glycerin base in a microwavable dish or a double boiler.
- Combine the herbs and the soap. Stirring the mixture frequently will help infuse the soap with the colour from the herbs.
- Add 3-5 drops of essential oil.
- Pour the mixture into the molds. Spray a mix of alcohol and water on top of the soap to get rid of any liquid bubbles, to create a smooth finish.
- Let the soap set overnight.
- The soap is now ready to use. It can last up to three months!
HEALING HERB AND ESSENTIAL OIL MIXTURES WE RECOMMEND:
Sage and orange essential oil, to detoxify skin, treat acne and dermatitis, or boost smooth skin
Thyme and ylang-ylang essential oil, to control oil production and minimize breakouts.
Mint and eucalyptus essential oil, for pain relief and anti-bacterial properties
Rosemary and lemon essential oil, for a natural astringent and bacteria prevention
Basil and tea tree essential oil, to prevent acne-causing bacteria